Fire Safety & Procedures
Your safety depends upon you! Help eliminate fire hazards! It is important for you to familiarize yourself with the building and the emergency equipment it contains.
- Prepare an escape plan including at least two exterior exits.
- Familiarize yourself with emergency reporting and sounding the alarm procedures.
- Determine a safe area of refuge at least 150 feet from the building.
- Develop procedures to account for all occupants of the facility including students, staff, and visitors.
- Assist the physically challenged individuals with evacuation from the facility.
Life safety is the primary objective of our fire safety program.
Close that door - it can save your life! The purpose of fire doors is to stop or greatly retard the spread of fire. Propping open fire doors can place all occupants at risk. Fire equipment such as fire doors are installed for your protection. Fire equipment can only be effective with the support of facility occupants. Wood wedges to prop door open are prohibited.
Why are door closers so important? Check out this powerpoint!
Fire Alarm Procedures
- Activate the fire alarm using the nearest fire alarm pull station.
- Notify occupants in the immediate area to start facility evacuation.
- Report the emergency to Public Safety at 3-2712 or 3-4000. Alternative reporting 9-911 will provide a timely response.
- Do not hang up - let the dispatcher hang up first.
- Start facility evacuation.
Elevators will not operate once the alarm is activated!
Evacuation is mandatory whenever the fire alarm is activated.
Facility occupants are required to develop emergency evacuation procedures.
Academic personnel should be the last to leave a classroom making sure all windows/doors are closed.
Laboratory staff should make sure equipment is shut off, open flames are turned off, windows/doors are closed.
Office personnel should make sure windows/doors are closed, critical documents/records are retrieved/secured, computers/equipment is shut off, personal belongings are retrieved/removed.
Evacuate building and report to pre-determined safe area of refuge.
Do not reenter a building until "ALL CLEAR" has been determined by emergency response personnel.
Open Flame Permit
The use of an open flame is prohibited unless approved by the Safety Officer or designee, to request an open flame permit please complete the Open Flame Request Form.