Office of Risk Management and Environmental Health and Safety

Guidelines on Open Flame Policy and Recreational Grilling

Grilling on University property may be conducted without an open flame permit under the following conditions:

  1. Grilling must be conducted at least 20 feet from buildings, decks/patios, and vehicles.
  2. Grilling must be conducted in grills that are manufactured for such purposes. If grills are custom made, they must be approved by UNI's Fire and Loss Control Coordinator.
  3. Charcoal, starting fluid, or liquid propane (L.P.) and components must be used per manufacturer’s recommendation.
  4. Only charcoal starting fluid, manufactured specifically for such purposes, shall be the only flammable/combustible liquid allowed to start charcoal.
  5. L.P. containers are not allowed to be stored inside buildings and must be shut off when not in use.
  6. Charcoal and ash must be doused with water prior to being disposed of.  Disposal must be done using a noncombustible container.
  7. Large events where grilling is conducted (football events, festivals, etc.) must be inspected for safety by UNI's Fire and Loss Control Coordinator.
  8. Tailgating festivities must comply with University policy.

If you have any questions please contact the University Fire and Loss Control Coordinator, Brian Freese, 319-273-2004,