- Per Policy 4.12, Safety and Health Policy for Employees, ensure proper personal protective equipment is available and used during all cleanout procedures.
- Ensure proper waste or radiation disposal procedures are followed. Contact EH&S with any questions.
- Conduct a thorough inventory of all chemicals or radioactive materials in the space. Check in all cupboards, cabinets, flammable cabinets, hoods and refrigerators.
- Redistribute non-radioactive chemicals that are still usable to other areas in the department or college. An inventory of redistributed chemicals should be provided to EH&S. Under no circumstances are radioactive materials to be redistributed.
- Contact EH&S about proper disposal of radiological material.
- Return compressed gas cylinders to the distributor or supplier. Lecture bottles in good condition can be redistributed to other areas in the college. If rusted or otherwise damaged, they should be considered hazardous waste.
- An inventory of any controlled substances should be given to EH&S. Controlled substances must be disposed of in accordance with state and federal guidelines. Contact EH&S with any questions.
- An inventory of biological materials should be conducted. Usable material can be transferred to another area of research if desired by another researcher. Unwanted or unusable material must be properly disposed of by the responsible academic department.
- Bench work, chemical fume hoods, and bio-safety cabinets have been thoroughly wiped down and decontaminated. After use surveys have been performed in areas where radioactive materials have been used and stored. The results of the survey must demonstrate the amount of radioactivity is equivalent to background radiation.
- Ensure Hazardous Waste is properly packaged with an appropriate closure and labeled according to the Hazardous Waste Management Manual. Safety Data Sheets (SDS) should be available for all hazardous chemicals.
- Unknown wastes should be isolated from other chemicals and characterized as completely as possible. This list should be given to EH&S.
- Remove hazardous material from equipment and dispose of according to Hazardous Waste Management Manual. Fixed equipment no longer being used by the department may be disposed of by contacting the Office of Business Operations.
- Final approval completed by EH&S.
Department Head Signature: